2024-2025 Academic Catalog

Print Options

Tuition Classification

Initial Residency

Initial residency classification for tuition purposes is determined by information submitted on the application for admission. Information regarding residency classification can be found at www.ucdenver.edu/residency.          

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Colorado ASSET

The University of Colorado Denver encourages and provides access for all qualified students. CU Denver accepts and welcomes students under both DACA and ASSET. Diversity is a guiding principle and core value of the university, and CU Denver is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment.

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

Tuition classification is governed by Colorado statutes that apply to all state-funded institutions in Colorado. Institutions are bound by the provisions of this statute and are not free to make exceptions to the established rules.

Students are initially classified as in-state or out-of-state for tuition purposes at the time of application. The classification is based upon information furnished by the student and from other relevant sources. After the student’s status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary.

Once a student is classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes, the student must petition for a change in classification. Petitions must be submitted no later than the Monday prior to the first official day of classes of the term for which the student wishes to be classified as a resident. It is preferred that petitions be received 30 days prior to the beginning of the term. Late petitions will not be considered until the next semester. Specific information may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.

The final decision regarding tuition status rests with the university. Questions regarding residence (tuition) status should be referred only to the tuition classification officer. Opinions of other persons are not official or binding upon the university. Additional information is available on our website.

Basic Requirements

The statute provides that an in-state student is one who has been a legally domiciled of Colorado for one year or more immediately preceding the beginning of the term for which the in-state classification is being sought. Persons over 23 years of age or who are emancipated establish their own legal domicile. Those who are under 23 years of age and are not emancipated assume the domicile of their parent or court-appointed legal guardian. A non-emancipated minor’s parent/legal guardian must, therefore, have a legal domicile in Colorado for one year or more before the minor may be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes.

Establishing Domicile

Domicile is established when one has a permanent place of habitation in Colorado and the intention of making Colorado one’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. The tuition statute places the burden of establishing a Colorado domicile on the person seeking to establish the domicile. The question of intent is one of documentable fact and needs to be shown by substantial connections with the state sufficient to evidence such intent. Legal domicile in Colorado for tuition purposes begins the day after connections with Colorado are made sufficient to evidence one’s intent. The most common ties with the state are

  1. Obtaining a Colorado driver’s license/ID,
  2. Obtaining of automobile registration in Colorado,
  3. Colorado voter registration,
  4. Permanent employment in Colorado and most important,
  5. Payment of state income taxes as a resident by one whose income is sufficient to be taxed.

Caution: Payment or filing of back taxes in no way serves to establish legal domicile retroactive to the time filed. In order to qualify for in-state tuition for a given term, the 12-month waiting period (which begins when the legal domicile is established) must be over by the first day of classes for the term in question. If one’s 12-month waiting period expires during the semester, in-state tuition cannot be granted until the next semester.

Resident Tuition for Military-Connected Students

Military-connected students living in the state of Colorado may be able to receive in-state residency for tuition purposes at CU Denver as designated by Federal or State Law. Please review the information on the Veteran and Military Student Services website for more information.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Students earning a bachelor's degree can qualify for the WUE tuition rate. The WUE program allows students to pay 150% of the Colorado resident rate. In order to qualify for the WUE program the student must live in one of the qualifying states. A student's WUE status is determined at the time of admission, please click here to obtain more information.  If you have any questions please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Members of the American Indian Tribes with Historical Ties to Colorado

A student who is a registered member of one of the federally recognized American Indian tribes with historical ties to Colorado, as designated by the Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs in partnerships with History Colorado, is eligible to be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes.  Please click here to obtain more information.

Peace Corps Volunteer

Under the Colorado Tuition Classification for Peace Corps Volunteers Act  (effective Fall 2023), a student who would not otherwise qualify for in-state tuition and who was certified by the director of the Peace Corps as having served satisfactorily as a Peace Corps Volunteer, is eligible to be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes.  Please click here to obtain more information.