Creative Writing Minor
Please click here to see English department information.
Students who have an interest in writing poetry or fiction may enroll in the creative writing minor. The creative writing minor gives students the opportunity to complement their area of major study with experience writing and reading poetry or fiction.
These program requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major, minor and CLAS advisors to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Minor
- Please see your CLAS advisor.
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major/minor.
Students must satisfy all requirements as outlined below and by the department offering the minor.
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 ENGL credit hours.
- Students must complete a minimum of six upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C- (1.7) in all courses that apply to the minor and must achieve a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the minor GPA. Courses taken using P+/P/F or S/U grading cannot apply to minor requirements.
- Students must complete a minimum of nine ENGL credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Allowances or Restrictions
- Courses counted in a minor cannot be counted toward any English Major or English Writing, Rhetoric, and Technology Major.
|Complete the following required courses:||9|
|Introduction to Creative Writing|
|Introduction to Literature and Film|
or ENGL 3050
|Complete one of the following elective courses: 1||3|
or ENGL 3050
|Advanced Poetry Workshop|
|Advanced Fiction Workshop|
|Complete one additional Poetry or Fiction elective course. 2||3|
|Students who have completed ENGL 3020, complete one of the following Poetry courses:|
|History of American Poetry|
|Special Topics in Creative Writing: Poetry|
|Students who have completed ENGL 3050, complete one of the following Fiction courses:|
|Survey of the English Novel to 1900|
|The American Novel|
|The American Short Story|
|Special Topics in Creative Writing: Fiction|
Students may complete both ENGL 3020 Poetry Workshop and ENGL 3050 Fiction Workshop. One will apply as a required course and one will apply as an elective.
Students who complete both ENGL 3020 Poetry Workshop and ENGL 3050 Fiction Workshop can choose an additional Poetry or Fiction elective course.
To learn more about the Student Learning Outcomes for this program, please visit our website.