Strategic Communication Undergraduate Certificate
Please click here to see Communication department information.
In keeping with worldwide transformations in information technology, media production, image consumption, message distribution, and norms of citizen engagement, the Department of Communication offers an Undergraduate Certificate in Strategic Communication (CSC).
Strategic Communication has been defined as the management function that entails planning, research, publicity, promotion and collaborative decision-making to help any organization's ability to listen to, appreciate and respond appropriately to those persons and groups whose mutually beneficial relationships the organization needs to foster as it strives to achieve its mission and vision.
- This is an on-campus or online program.
Declaring This Certificate
- Students should declare interest in completing the Undergraduate Certificate in Strategic Communication by emailing Dr. Hamilton Bean at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before the end of their final semester, students must send a completed certificate application to Dr. Hamilton Bean at email@example.com.
- The approved certificate will be mailed to the student, and recorded on their transcript, after final grades are posted for the semester.
- Students who are not already enrolled at CU Denver must also complete an online Application for Non-Degree Admission prior to registering for courses.
Additional information about the undergraduate certificate in Strategic Communication may be obtained from Dr. Hamilton Bean, Student Commons Building 3010, 303-315-1909, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
These program requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their Strategic Communication advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
Students must satisfy all requirements as outlined below and by the department offering the certificate.
- Click here for information about Academic Policies.
- Students must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours from approved courses.
- Students must complete a minimum of six upper division (3000-level and above) credit hours from approved courses.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of B (3.0) in all courses that apply to the certificate and must achieve a minimum cumulative certificate GPA of 3.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the certificate GPA. Courses taken using P+/P/F or S/U grading cannot apply to certificate requirements.
- Students must complete all credit hours for the certificate with CU Denver faculty.
|To build on a shared set of foundational theories, norms, and skills, all CSC-seeking students complete two required courses in Communication:||6|
|Introduction to Strategic Communication|
|Media Writing Skills|
|CSC-seeking students will then burnish their production skills by completing a 3 credit hour elective from chosen areas of content expertise by completing one of the following: 1||3|
|New Media Production and Management|
|Social Media for Social Change|
|Principles of Advertising|
|Introduction to Digital Photography|
|Introduction to Digital Design|
|Motion Design I|
|CSC-seeking students will complete their certificate by undertaking a semester-long, 3 credit hour capstone project conducted in conjunction with a community partner, by completing one of the following:||3|
|Advanced Strategic Communication|
or FINE 4400
|Design Studio III|
Another elective with a strategic communication focus may be approved for the CSC in consultation with Dr. Hamilton Bean or a Department of Communication advisor.
To learn more about the Student Learning Outcomes for this program, please visit our website.