Please click here to see general Visual Arts information.
Students in the photography emphasis develop skills in traditional and digital photography while refining their creative and conceptual approaches to the medium. The photography curriculum emphasizes individual artistic development that integrates the history of photography, critical theory and contemporary practice. Through an exploration of photographic techniques, students are given the tools to create visually compelling images that communicate their artistic ideas.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
For more information, please contact CAM@ucdenver.edu.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- CU Denver General Graduation Requirements
- CU Denver Core Curriculum
- College of Arts & Media Graduation Requirements
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
- A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required for each course applied toward a College of Arts & Media major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of C- (1.7) or lower will not fulfill a major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of P is acceptable for courses in which the only grade available is Pass or Fail.
- All upper-division visual arts courses must be taken at CU Denver unless approved otherwise by Department of Visual Arts faculty.
- At least 27 semester hours of visual arts credits (at any level) must be taken at CU Denver.
- At least 24 semester hours of total visual arts courses must be upper-division.
|Take all of the following Foundations courses:|
|FINE 1100||Drawing I||3|
|FINE 1150||Introduction to Darkroom Photography||3|
|FINE 1400||Two Dimensional Design||3|
|FINE 1500||Three-Dimensional Design||3|
|FINE 2155||Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|FINE 2600||Art History Survey I||3|
|FINE 2610||Art History Survey II||3|
|Take all of the following Photography Emphasis courses:|
|FINE 3156||Photography Studio and Lighting||3|
|FINE 3160||Color and the Constructed Image||3|
|FINE 3161||The Silver Fine Print||3|
|FINE 3162||The Digital Fine Print||3|
|FINE 3171||Concepts and Processes in Photography||3|
|FINE 3172||Photography and Community||3|
|FINE 4195||Advanced Photography I||3|
|FINE 4196||Advanced Photography II||3|
|Take all of the following Visual Arts courses:|
|FINE 3630||History of Photography||3|
|FINE 3631||Photography: Theory and Criticism||3|
|FINE 3635||Photography Now||3|
|FINE 4990||Contemporary Art: 1960 to Present||3|
|Take three semester hours of Pre-20th Century Art History elective.||3|
|Take three semester hours of Studio Arts elective in an area outside of photography.||3|
|Take nine semester hours of Studio Arts electives.||9|
|Take six semester hours of Visual Arts electives. 1||6|
|Take the following Capstone course:|
|FINE 4950||Studio BFA Thesis||3|
These may include studio, lecture, internship or art history courses.
Please contact the College of Arts & Media at CAM@ucdenver.edu for course sequencing, any prerequisite updates and for lists of approved electives and more information about this emphasis.
To review the Degree Map for this program, please visit our website.